5G ENSURE has received funding from the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation H2020 under grant agreement No 671562 | Duration November 2015 / October 2017
The main focus of the work of Oxford University in 5G-ENSURE is the provision of privacy in mobile communications. Oxford is developing mechanisms for providing privacy enhanced operation for devices connecting to 5G networks to ensure that we minimise the potential for illicit tracking of past and present locations of mobile users. Major research findings were presented and demonstrated by Piers O’Hanlon and Ravishankar Borgaonk at the Black Hat Europe security conference in early November 2016: WiFi-based IMSI Catcher, with considerable press coverage, which will help to flag privacy issues at the highest levels and ensure they are swiftly addressed.
- The Register: Build your own IMSI slurping, phone stalking stingray-lite box, using bog-standard Wi-Fi
- Network World: The great smartphone security scare: Your mobile can be hijacked and tracked without you knowing!
- PC World: Mobile subscriber identity numbers can be exposed over Wi-Fi
- SC Magazine: Black Hat EU: researchers remind that IMSI catchers still a threat
- International Business Times: The great smartphone security scare: Your mobile can be hijacked and tracked without you knowing!
- Best Security Search: Cell phones can be traced via Wi-Fi
- The Intercept: Hackers and law enforcement could hijack Wi-Fi connections to track cellphones
- The Hacker News: Wi-Fi can be turned into IMSI Catcher to track cell phone users everywhere
- Bitshacker: Wi-Fi can be turned into IMSI Catcher to track cell phone users
- Naked Security: Who needs a stingray when Wi-Fi can do the job?
- 01 Net.com (French): Comment le Wi-Fi des opérateurs mobiles permet de pister les abonnés
- Computer World (Hungarian): Ellophatók a mobil előfizetők azonosítói wifin keresztül
- Version (Danish): Mobilbrugeres ID-nummer kan opfanges fra almindeligt wifiudstyr
- Intelligence Online: Fake Wi-Fi hotspot replaces IMSI catcher
- TechWorm: Cell Phone Users can be tracked easily using just WiFi and here's how
- XaKep: WiFi IMSI-Catcher
- SecNews: Πώς μπορείτε να εντοπίσετε εύκολα χρήστες κινητών μέσω WiFi (Greek)
- The Tech News: Learn Tracking Cell Phones Using WiFi Connection
- Univers Free Box: Deux chercheurs dénoncent le Wi-Fi opérateur qui piste les abonnés (French)
- Autobild: Si usas WIFI publico, ten cuidado con esto
5G-ENSURE Press Coverage Report [PDF]<![CDATA[// ><!]]>