The use cases illustrate specific 5G related security challenges. Two kinds of use cases and associated challenges are considered in this context:
- For use cases illustrating security issues inherited from current generation networks, the challenge is to provide an improved level of security and privacy.
FOCUS on vulnerabilities and potential counter measures addressing the identified security issues.
- For use cases illustrating new features introduced in 5G (e.g. support for critical MTC and SDN), the challenge is to provide an appropriate level of security and privacy, as well as potential new security functionalities.
FOCUS on the additional security functionality needed to support the new features.
The use cases identified in 5G-ENSURE are organised as follows.
- The pre-conditions are listed, illustrating the setting before the actual use case takes place.
- The sequence steps illustrating the use case are described. The step-by-step description is intended to pave the road for the upcoming threat and risk analysis in the project.
- A short analysis of the use case is completed, followed by an outline of security properties of a solution.
- Each use case is classified in terms of relevant candidate security enablers in the project, and applicable next generation radio technology use cases: Enhanced Mobile Broadband (xMBB), Massive Machine-Type Communication (mMTC), and Ultra-reliable and low-latency Machine-Type Communication (uMTC). The classification is included to position the use case both within the 5G-ENSURE project and in the context of other 5G-PPP projects.
- 5G encompasses a variety of radio access systems expanding the capabilities of mobile devices and networks.
- The increased emphasis of user privacy, including unlinkability between user information and device identifiers and untraceabilty of location, needs to be met by new protection schemes.
- 5G networks should provide various kinds of virtualized Core Network functions (slices) for different types of subscribers or corporations, which need totally different isolation properties.
- The increasing trend of connecting important functions in society and corporations through mobile network technology leads to an increased demand for robustness and reliability in overload and denial of service situations.